Tuesday, February 17, 2009

January Retrospective

It doesn't feel right to ignore that it's already six weeks into the year. I need to backtrack and get 2009 started from square one. I have my share of OCD-like moments, and this is one of them. So I'm going to share what got my foot tapping back in el mes primero. Here's a couple to start...

It remains to be seen if this will ever eclipse his last couple of LPs on my forever growing list of favourite albums, but then that's a lot of "living up to" to be reasonably expected... everything I've heard by Andrew Bird to date has won me over and Noble Beast is no disappointment. It's beautifully layered, lyrically advanced, not-trying-too-hard-to-be-cool music for adults. Wait until it's raining outside and then play this song.

Animal Collective is a band I've never quite been able to get my head around, until now. The new album, Merriweather Post Pavilion, sucked me in immediately and I'm guessing it's gonna be hard to beat for album of the year (whatever that means exactly). It's like a more psychedelic In Rainbows. For a sample, try this acid trip of a video for one of the catchier cuts off the album, My Girls.

More reflection to come.

3 comments:

  1. Did I tell you that I've discovered the library has a pretty good collection of indie rock records? I'm going to start filling up my iTunes that way, instead of spending too much on Amazon. Unforch I have to wait a little bit because my "hold" list on their website is already full :P

    I know it's not quite as good as supporting M-Theory... but I am supporting the library system, which has its own problems right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the cool part -- any branch! When you get a library card now, they give you a PIN, and you can go online to their website and order any book/CD from the entire SD library system. They send it to whichever branch you want and email you when it's ready to pickup. So convenient!!

    ReplyDelete